Sunday, January 1, 2012

Plarn Dish Scrubbies

If you haven't heard of plarn, you've been missing out. Plarn is yarn made out of plastic grocery bags! Some people use it for fashion, but I prefer its more functional aspects. Knit up in garter stitch with two strands, these little plarn dish scrubbies have a rough, ridged surface on both sides, making them perfect for scrubbing tough-to-clean dishes like pots and pans with cooked-on food.

Here is the method I used to make my plarn, and here is another, perhaps slightly easier way that creates the double strand automatically.
I used two different patterns: one was the traditional Grandmother's favorite dishcloth pattern (although much smaller), and for the other, I cast on 15 stitches and worked garter stitch until it was somewhere in the vicinity of square. The latter pattern turned out to be much simpler ;)
These work really well; my mom has already "stolen" two or three (with permission)!
Happy plarning!
Blessings,
Hannah =)

7 comments:

  1. Well, what a neat thing! You must be feeling better after your sickness and I'm glad to hear it. Thanks for the idea, I'm thinking I want to try this, even though I'm not much of a knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello There,
    popping over from Kathleen's blog. Think this is a great idea!!! Will give it a try.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys! Glad to be an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea. Go green girly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question... Is it safe to use on Teflon, glass and ceramic dishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely safe on glass and ceramic :) From my experience, it is perfectly safe on Teflon, though I haven't tested it over time. It's not a scratchy material--the scrubbing action is all from the bumps in the garter stitch, so it shouldn't give you any problems as far as that goes. Hope this helps!

      Blessings,
      Hannah =)

      Delete
  6. How WIDE DO YOU CUT THE 'PLARN' ?

    ReplyDelete